[Linux-disciples] Detecting known networks

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Thu Feb 24 20:19:11 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 07:34:34PM -0500, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> In any case, netenv seems less about automagic configuration
> (e.g., storing a list of WEP-key-to-access-point mappings)
> and more about a collection of static configurations that
> the user can select at boot. Is that a proper
> characterization, in your experience?

Actually, now that I think about it, I guess I was thinking of whereami
or possibly intuitively.  Basically these are scripts that follow a set
of predefined rules and select a configuration based on those rules.  It
doesn't fit into your WEP-key-to-access-point mapping paradigm, but
instead what you would do is detect the MAC address of the particular
router that you know, and then tell it to iwconfig the proper WEP key
settings.  I'm almost certain whereami and/or intuitively can do this.

It does take a bit of work to set up, though.
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org