[Linux-disciples] Detecting known networks

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Thu Feb 24 19:34:34 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 07:24:34PM -0500, Adam Rosi-Kessel wrote:
> I think I've mentioned it before, but have you looked at netenv? That
> might take care of it.

D'oh! Sorry for re-asking.

I did check out netenv. Maybe I just misunderstood it, but
it seems a little different than what I'm looking for. When
I boot, netenv asks me what my current network environment
is -- say, wired or unwired -- and configures my machine
appropriately. I uninstalled it because it was interacting
badly with the resolvconf package. Resolvconf checks at
startup to see whether /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to
/etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf; if it's not, it makes it
so. But with netenv installed, /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink
to /etc/netenv/somethingorother. The bad interactions
resulting from this caused my DNS lookups to be screwy all
the time. I didn't want to spend much energy debugging the
problem, so I just uninstalled netenv.

In any case, netenv seems less about automagic configuration
(e.g., storing a list of WEP-key-to-access-point mappings)
and more about a collection of static configurations that
the user can select at boot. Is that a proper
characterization, in your experience?

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org