[Linux-disciples] connecting to the internet

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Wed Feb 16 18:32:30 EST 2005

If you assign a MAC address in the router to the machine, you don't want
to manually assign it with ifconfig, you want it to be fetched from the
dhcp server.  The problem with ifconfig 192.168.8.23 is it's not enough
information to get on the Internet--you also need netmask and
gateway--in which case it would be easier to just add to
/etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth0 inet static
   address 192.168.8.23
   netmask 255.255.255.0
   gateway 192.168.8.1

(I believe--just from my memory).

Try putting that in and then ifup eth0.  Then try pinging an IP address
of (1) your router (192.168.8.1) and (2) something outside (e.g.,
140.247.60.120) and then (3) a domain name (e.g., cnn.com).