[Linux-disciples] connecting to the internet

karl sokol fritzsokol at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 14:23:22 EST 2005

I manually (through windows) entered my debian
machine's mac address into the router.  It appeared to
assign an address (192.168.8.23).  But, I don't know
what to do with it.  I tried ifconfig eth0
192.168.8.23 and then pinged it and it was fine.  But
I see that this just further exposes my ignorance
about what is supposed to happen because changing eth0
to anything and then pinging that address gives 0%
packet loss.

What am I missing?  At what point should I give up and
install Suse?

=====
Grace and peace,
Karl