[Linux-disciples] getting online

Karl Sokol fritzsokol at wireless.essex1.com
Thu Feb 3 23:47:49 EST 2005

I confess that despite copious reading and experimenting, I have yet to
understand how to get online on Debian.  I have a wireless service that
goes through an Ethernet modem, a wireless router and then into my
interface card.  I am more or less sure the interface card is set up
O.K. because it worked before we moved.  I have a connection on my
wife's Windows based laptop.
My /etc/network/interfaces file looks:
"auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp."

ifup eth0  gives "ping 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes"
and then says 100% packet loss.

ping 192.168.0.2 gives 0% packet loss. I have pump installed, but do not
know how (or if I need to) configure it.

Am I barking up the wrong trees?  Is there a site that has a nuts and
bolts howto get online without having to read for the umpteenth time
about the history of networking?

Forever indebted,
Karl