[Linux-disciples] getting online

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Fri Feb 4 00:03:54 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:47:49PM -0600, Karl Sokol wrote:
> My /etc/network/interfaces file looks:
> "auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> iface eth0 inet dhcp."

Sounds like eth0 is a wireless card? If so, you'll need the
wireless-tools package. Wireless-tools makes available a set
of directives inside of /etc/network/interfaces; mine looks
like so:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
	wireless-mode managed
	wireless-essid any

Try installing wireless-tools and see if that helps. I don't
know what other configuration needs to happen to make
wireless-tools add those directives to
/etc/network/interfaces; it was installed automagically when
I installed Ubuntu, so I've never had to do any
configuration to make it work.

One other thing: the 'auto' lines in /etc/network/interfaces
specify which interfaces will be brought online when you
boot. If you only have 'auto lo', then only the loopback
interface will come up. Make sure to add 'auto eth0' if you
want your wireless card to start automatically.

(Note that the 'auto' bit extends at least to /etc/fstab: if
you want a volume to be mounted on boot, include 'auto' as
one of the options.)

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org