[Linux-disciples] NIS questions

Dylan Thurston dpt at lotus.bostoncoop.net
Wed May 26 12:44:29 EDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:18:06AM -0400, Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> All right: I think I have NIS properly set up on a few
> clients, because I can run programs like ypcat and get
> entries out of my passwd file. But this brings up a question
> for me: how does NIS resolve a conflict between the local
> passwd file and the NIS passwd file? If a username exists in
> both files, whose password does the system consult? I'll
> experiment a bit on this.

This is configurable: At some point in /etc/passwd, you stick in a
line with '+'s.  I think earlier entries in /etc/passwd take
precedence, so if you want the local passwd file, you put the local
entries before that line; if you want the remote one, you put the
local entries after that line.

> I know that NIS is properly synching passwd files, because I
> created a test user only on the server, ran
> 'make -C /var/yp', and saw that the test user was available
> from one of the client machines. It seems pretty
> straightforward.
>
> Next task: get the desktops and so forth shared. I assume
> that's easy?

Assuming you've already got NSF set up, it should be easy.

For your later questions, I don't know anything about setting up
domains, sorry...

Peace,
	Dylan