[*BCM*] WANTED: photo of the new "health insurance" bus campaign of hit cyclist

robert fine countrybob at comcast.net
Fri Mar 28 17:21:23 EDT 2008

I saw the Subway version of the ad on the redline and thought it was
offensive as well. I did think to pull it out of the placard to show people
and if I knew I'd be getting one of those great T-shirts, I'd have been
highly motivated (although I realize the offer is to take a photo, not steal
public property)! What's not clear is how the biker fell down, you don't
just fall down on your own unless there is a serious road hazard , you get
doored, or you try some kind of acrobatic maneuver like answer your cell
phone while drinking a beverage. Based on the orientation of the cars, the
biker appears to have been doored because I don't see any traffic or road
hazards (potholes). Another troublesome aspect (though I could be wrong) is
that automobile owners insurance covers accidents while drivers ride their
bicycles but bicyclists who don't own automobiles don't have similar
protections. Similarly, motorcycle riders are covered by their vehicle
policy for accidents caused by others but not bicyclists. I don't think the
intent was to demean bicyclists but it does show their ignorance of the
hazards cyclists face. It must have been hard to select an image of showing
the risks of not having health insurance (they could have shown someone
being evicted from their home after the  hospital placed a lean on their
property because of someone in the family requiring expensive medical
treatments). I have to admit though that it's important for cyclists to have
health insurance coverage if they are to ride in the city, just as it's
important to wear a helmet (oh no, hear comes the wrath of BCM ) and a light
at night.