[Ny-tech-coop] Hacker spaces

Karl Fogel kfogel at questioncopyright.org
Fri Nov 20 15:35:48 EST 2009

Dylan Thurston <dpt at math.columbia.edu> writes:
> To pick up the old suggestion about places for people to come and
> solder and such, I just learned about hacker spaces.  (I'm visiting
> Toronto and heard about hackerlab.to.)  There seem to be several in
> New York, of which the most active is NYCResistor.  Of course they're
> not a living coop, but it seems related.
>
> (Sorry for those who know about this already, which may well be
> everyone...)
>
> I'm also psyched about the proposed focus on free culture, which I
> didn't see at any of these hacker spaces.  There's a list at
> http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces .

Speaking of which, I promised a vision statement for Free Culture House.
(well, Nina and I were going to work on that together).

But I don't have time, and won't have time for the forseeable future.
Better to just admit this now :-).  I can't do much on Free Culture
House because I'm too busy working on Free Culture; my email box is
overflowing, and I can't take on new things that distract me from my
non-profit right now, sorry.  I support the idea of Free Culture House,
obviously, and would be interested in living there someday... but I
won't be able to pull my weight in getting it to happen.

-Karl