[Ny-tech-coop] Let's get this co-op started!

Gloria W strangest at comcast.net
Sat Nov 7 21:32:18 EST 2009

Jimmy, this really rocks. Thanks for the effort to study the problem,
find solutions, and get this going.

I think we can learn quite a bit from our European co-op friends, some
of whom have squatted the right to own their building, others who have
done group rentals/purchases. Each cooperative living environment comes
with a good story of how it was founded, the living arrangements, etc.

It would be wonderful to publish a book of these experiences. But I
digress. I often have friends from co-ops passing through our city,
staying in my tiny apartment. I dream of a day when we can open our
doors to fellow geeks and hackers of all kinds, from all around the
world, and participate in the secret co-op exchange. If they get to stay
here for free anytime, we get to go there for free anytime, and we meet
a wide variety of diverse, intelligent, generous, amazing people.

I've stayed in co-ops in Vienna, Amsterdam and Berlin, simply due to
connections through friends. The co-op connection is even greater, and
the need for cheap/free project/creative/crash space in NYC is really
dire. NYCResistor often has visitors from other countries, and lets them
sleep in their loft, in that tiny crunched-up space. I would love to do
better, and offer real space to create, talk, solder, weld, hangout,
open to co-op geeks from around the world, do communal cooking, host
classes of all kinds, possibly even get equipment like a clay kiln
and/or a glass kiln, a drum scanner, a laser etching machine,  a
programmable loom, a potters wheel, a fully functional classroom, a
soundproof recording/rehearsal chamber, a photo developing lab, and
offer all of these things for rent/barter with groups around NYC. This
would be fun, possibly even lucrative enough to pay a good chunk of the
rent/mortgage.

Whew. It felt good to let that all out :) I realize some of this
equipment comes with high electric bills and insurance requirements, not
to mention equipment maintenance. But other groups are doing it
piecemeal. If we get enough people to share this vision, with proper
planning we could make this a reality one piece at a time. That's my
grand dream. I hope at least a small bit of this dream speaks to you as
well. I look at other co-ops which have run for thirty, even forty
years, and I know that just about anything is possible.

Gloria