[Linux-disciples] Re: Linux-disciples Digest, Vol 13, Issue 7

karl sokol fritzsokol at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 13:32:58 EST 2005

> Have you tried manually setting the IP address:
> ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.8.100

yes

> and then see if you can ping or browse to the
> router?

Ping says “network unreachable... 100% packet loss”

> Hmm. Usually if you are connecting through a router,
> the router should do the PPPOE, not the computer.
The router than
> provides an IP address
> and routing information to the clients.  Is your
> router set up to do
> this?

The PPOE is set up on the router.

There is also a section called “client list” that
shows an assigned IP Address, Host Name, and MAC
Address for the windows machine plugged into the
router.

There is also a section where you can assign 4 fixed
Ips to 4 different MAC addresses.  Is this what I want
to do.

> Are you working with DSL, Cable Modem, or
> something else?

 It is a wireless connection that goes through a cable
modem.  www.essex1.com

> By the way, what happens if you type
>
> dhclient eth0

“ping 192.168.0.1 (sic) :56 data bytes ....  100%
packet loss”

> or
>
> pump -i eth0

“operation failed”

> You also mentioned that another computer is able to
> get on the network
> running Windows. Is that computer also connecting
> through an Ethernet
> cable or wirelessly?

It worked with wireless when I was using the netgear
wireless router.  It is working now connected with a
cable to my gigafast ee400-r router.

> Do you see a light on the router and/or on your
> computer when you
> connect the Ethernet cable?

Yes, on both.

I should also mention that there is also a built in
ether port in my lanparty ut motherboard.  But I am
using my old card until I can update my system.

Thanks again for all of your help.

> Karl Sokol wrote:
> >
> >> Sounds like eth0 is a wireless card?
> >
> > Sorry, I was not clear.  The computer is a
> desktop.  An Ethernet cable
> > goes to a  router, which in turn is connected to a
> cable modem, which is
> > connected to an antanae that picks up my wireless
> service.  (Though all
> > the info on wireless networking will be helpful
> when we make the laptop
> > Linux- but that is another day.)
> >
> >> (1) Does your computer see your network card?
> >
> > ifconfig  eth0 looks O.K.
> >
> > The address for the router configuration page is
> 192.168.8.1.  Pinging
> > this address gives 'unable to access host'.  I
> connect through ppoe on
> > windows.
> > Running PPOE gives "Sorry I scanned 1
> interface,but the Access
> > concentrtor of your provider did not respond.
> Please check your network
> > and modem cables. Another reason for the scan
> failure may also be
> > another running PPPoe process which controls the
> modem"
> >
> > I killed everything that looked like it might be
> offending, but to no
> > avail.
> > I think have patchwork of trying different things
> may have caused a
> > jumble mess.  Is there a way to start at square
> one?
> >
> > I am downloading ubuntu, and will try to connect
> through that.
> >
> > Thanks for the leads so far.

=====
Grace and peace,