[Linux-disciples] Per-directory Umask Setting?

Dylan Thurston dpt at exoskeleton.math.harvard.edu
Thu May 27 16:42:08 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 02:23:13PM -0400, Adam Kessel wrote:
> Let's say I have a directory owned by user:group and I want all files in
> the directory to be user and group readable and writable and all
> directories in the directories to be user and group readable, writable,
> and executable.
>
> I can use the setuid/setgid bits on the directories to make sure all new
> files created in those directories have the correct ownership, but is
> there any way to make sure all files have the correct
> *permissions*--i.e., group writable?
>
> This is generally what umask is for, but I'm trying to figure out if
> there's a way to have the umask "go" with the directory.
>
> I know I can mount a whole volume with the desired umask (0112) but I
> don't see how to do the specific directory, unless I wanted to make it a
> separate partition and thus mounted separately.
>
> I'm actually trying to do this over NFS, but NFS doesn't support umask
> mount options at all.

Generally, the permissions on the files are what they are.  You seem to
want to override all permissions on all files in a subdirectory; I don't
know of any way to do that.  You need to make sure the files have the
right permissions in the first place.  What about a cron job to fix the
permissions?

Peace,
	Dylan