[Linux-disciples] Per-directory Umask Setting?

Adam Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Thu May 27 14:23:13 EDT 2004

Let's say I have a directory owned by user:group and I want all files in
the directory to be user and group readable and writable and all
directories in the directories to be user and group readable, writable,
and executable.

I can use the setuid/setgid bits on the directories to make sure all new
files created in those directories have the correct ownership, but is
there any way to make sure all files have the correct
*permissions*--i.e., group writable?

This is generally what umask is for, but I'm trying to figure out if
there's a way to have the umask "go" with the directory.

I know I can mount a whole volume with the desired umask (0112) but I
don't see how to do the specific directory, unless I wanted to make it a
separate partition and thus mounted separately.

I'm actually trying to do this over NFS, but NFS doesn't support umask
mount options at all.
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org