[*BCM*] Windsor bikes from Bikes Direct

Erik esw at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 5 15:18:18 EDT 2011

I haven't bought from bikesdirect, but I did once buy a bike from a
different low-price online bike store.  I was shocked at the state the
bike came basically direct from the manufacturer.  _Everything_ needed
tightened / adjusted.  And I mean everything... brake bolts, bottom
bracket, pedals, headset, stem.  Basically the mfr just attached
everything so that it holds together in one piece in the box, but
apparently it's really your lbs that does proper assembly.

In my case I didn't think to check the bottom bracket torque so I
ended up screwing up my bb threads by riding it for a week before I
realized why the drivetrain felt "gritty."

I'd probably do it again, because I like doing my own maintenance and
it was a good deal.  I just wish I'd been more thorough initially.
Actually what I'd prefer is to buy the bike from the mfr as a "kit"
all in separate pieces to remind me I really am building it from
scratch.

-erik