[*BCM*] Windsor bikes from Bikes Direct

Chris Ball chris at printf.net
Wed Oct 5 14:49:00 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 04 2011, rinonvan at gmail.com wrote:
> Has anyone ever had any experience with this company?
> The site is very basic with no physical location mentioned.
> http://www.bikesdirect.com
>
> I'm particularly interested in the Windsor Essex and Oxford models.
> The prices seem a little too good to be true and feedback seems varied.
>
> I'm not affiliated with the dealer or the manufacturer, just hoping
> for some first hand experience before purchasing.
> Thanks.

I've bought two bikes from them, including the one I'm riding right now
(Mercier Galaxy steel).  The bike took about an hour to finish assembling
(slowly) after it arrived, and the front wheel on one arrived very out of
true, which they mention up front as a possibility; I decided to pay my
LBS to true it and give the bike a once over, so you might want to treat
that as an addition to the cost on the site.

They're clearly just an operation for buying bikes straight from the
manufacturer and then sending you the box, taking out the cost of them
having to put the bikes together and rent a space to show you them in.

I did look around local bike stores before buying it, and couldn't find
a new steel frame road bike for anywhere near as low as the $400 I paid
bikesdirect -- I think the closest was over $600, maybe even more.
I recommend them.

- Chris.