[*BCM*] boston's bike sharing program (BIXI)

Anne Wolfe goannego at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 03:20:40 EDT 2009

It is a tough call.  Do you want a biking program at all or one that isn't
sponsored by companies you dislike (which unfortunately for us as a society
are the ones most likely to have the money?)  You say you'd prefer a biking
program that doesn't have the sponsorship, but there still to be a biking
program, and it runs into the age old "who's going to pay for it?" issue.
And no one ever wants it to come out of their pocket.  As much as I'm
opposed to the war in Iraq, I don' t have the power to go back and
re-allocate that money.

All things being considered, I'm glad we have a biking program coming in.
If you don't like who pays for it, then protest, but if your protest means
that people don't bike and instead use cars, you've got to live with that as
well.  So what are you going to do???

2009/8/15 Jym Dyer <jym at econet.org>

> > It is good for tourist use, but I think it also could be
> > good for short pre/post subway trips.
>
> =v= The name "BIXI" is a combination of bicycle + taxi, and
> they're trying to market it as an alternative to the kind
> of trip you might otherwise take in a taxi.
>
> =v= In addition to Montreal, bike-sharing schemes have been
> a success in many European locations, presumably replacing
> many motorized vehicle trips.  The first such system in this
> country is Washington D.C.'s "SmartBike" (which is run by
> Clear Channel), but I think it's too soon to tell how well
> it's working there yet.
>
> > The thing that worries me the most about this not working,
> > is just the brutal, fuck-everyone vandalism impulse.  People
> > can be dicks.
>
> =v= J.C. Decaux, who operates the Paris bike-share, reported
> a very high rate of vandalism and theft, but it turned out
> that they were overstating things because they wanted the city
> to pay them more money than agreed upon.  There are also some
> people in Barcelona who believe the city government is taking
> away free bike parking and other amenities for bicyclists to
> make room for their bike share, so they've done some vandalism
> in the form of protest graffiti.
>
> =v= My main issue with BIXI is with one of their sponsors.  The
> aluminum for the bikes' frames comes from the mining company Rio
> Tinto, whose company logo is emblazoned right on the handlebars
> so you can stare at it the entire time you're riding the bike.
> Frame material product placement is very unusual, but I suppose
> Rio Tinto needs some heavy-duty greenwash.  They do everything
> from stripmining to rainforest destruction to pushing for
> increased proliferation of nuclear power.  Greenpeace has had
> to put pressure on them for years.
>
>    I guess they'd rather be associated with biking, at least
> in the public mind.
>
> =v= For once I'd like a bike-sharing program that isn't
> sponsored by a destructive company.  J.C. Decaux is notorious
> for their intrusions on liveable space.  Clear Channel promotes
> oil wars and has morning drive-time DJs who like to joke about
> hurting and killing bicyclists.
>    <_Jym_>

Anne M. Wolfe, LL.M.
Mobile: ( 07805) 456901

Be well, do good work, and keep in touch. - Garrison Keillor