[*BCM*] boston's bike sharing program (BIXI)

Peter gh3451 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 09:40:37 EDT 2009

For anyone that has not yet had enough:
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2009/04/12/is_boston_ready_for_a_revolution/?page=1
An article on "Velib", the Paris version.  From pg 4:  I ask Valeau his advice for Boston. "The first key is the density of the network," he says. "It must cover the whole city, not just the city center, with a station every 250 meters. The second key is you must have good prices -- very, very cheap. The third key is the promotion of the service -- the city must be very politically involved and committed to its success. The fourth key is the quality of the bicycles and the station equipment. They will be used 10 times a day by different customers: novice, expert, fat, very slim, tall, and short. Last but perhaps most important is the quality of service and repair."
Something is better than nothing but none of the press releases give any indication that any of these conditions for sucess will be present.  I ride my own so would not be a user but, again, more bikes is better.