[*BCM*] Awareness Test

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Thu Mar 20 14:37:33 EDT 2008

> I think all cars should be neon too.  and drivers should
> wear helmets.  and pedestrians should wear both also.

=v= Now we're talking!

=v= To be clear, I do have a hideous neon yellow jacket that
I wear for self-preservation.  I just don't think it addresses
the underlying problem of motorists who being negligent about
other people who might be on the road, be they bicyclists,
pedestrians, or woodland animals.

=v= Nor do I think that this approach scales up very well.
Because of motorists who don't yield for pedestrians at regular
crosswalks, we have "zebra crossings," but motorists don't yield
for those well enough either, so we have flashing lights and
hideous neon yellow signage for motorists to ignore.  At each
step we get further and further away from what's supposed to
happen:  pedestrian right-of-way at every corner, whether or
not it's marked with a crosswalk!

=v= It also doesn't scale up well because of oversaturation.
Half the cars in New York City are bright yellow, so *that*
becomes the background color.
    <_Jym_>