[*BCM*] South Station, Locks

Philip Stango prstango at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:38:27 EDT 2008

Hey all,
So I think the deal with the acid is this: the person comes by, sees a bike
they'd like to steal, squirts stuff into the lock to make it
difficult/impossible to open, then returns later with tools to break/cut the
lock and steal the bike. I used to live in Dublin, where bike theft is
pretty notorious, and I heard of this happening...though I think then it was
using epoxy or something like that to totally cover the keyhole. So perhaps
it is best to keep the u-lock oriented so the keyhole faces downward.

As for South Station, I would not lock my bike there. Locking a bike at a
train or bus station is saying 'I won't be back for a good while.' I had a
friend who, despite removing the seat, had his bike stolen from there, and
there are lots of bikes there missing parts. Here is a list of parking
garages that have bike racks in them  -
http://www.cityofboston.gov/transportation/bike_parking.asp I've never
actually used any, but they may be a safer bet, in that they might not be
visible from the street, so people might not know there are bikes there.
Plus, I don't know if the argument that a lot of people around is a theft
deterrant carries much weight. I've had to 'steal' my own bike when the key
broke, using a hack saw, and aside from attracting stares, nothing/no
one stopped me from cutting my lock by the bus circle of Reservoir Station.

Don't let any of this stop you from commuting with your bike though! Just
have a hefty lock and park it in a good spot. Also might be worth changing
it up in terms of where you park it from time to time.

Cheers,
Phil