[*BCM*] Drunk driver gets 10 1/2 years for killing cyclist

Eric Mearns ericmearns at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 09:34:16 EST 2008

It's not vengeance or rehabilitation, it's just logical that if
someone is unable to make the decisions on their own that keep them
from killing those around them, that they be removed from the
equation.  I have zero faith in law enforcement or our justice system,
but if the facts in this article are true, I can't think of a better
candidate for a prison sentence than this clown.
Again, I have to trust the media on this, but according to this article:
She got caught driving drunk once, and her license was taken away.
Not convinced at this point that driving drunk was a bad idea, she
decided to do it again without the benefit of a driver's license this
time.
She killed someone.
So her prison sentence is "arguably" making the world safer? How about
"absolutely"?  What would be a "better way", hiding her car keys in
the cookie jar and making her promise to switch to diet coke after two
beers?  Maybe she could pinky swear and sign a pledge that she would
never ever ever ever do it again.
Some people just aren't capable of making decisions on their own, and
when that inability results in innocent people losing their lives,
someone has to step in and take over the decision making for them.
The people who benefit from the prison term are all of the people who
might have been killed or maimed (Arrington included) had she been
allowed to continue along on her path of poor decision making.  I'd
say the prison term is doing immeasurable good for both her and anyone
unfortunate enough to share a road with her.
That said, I also advocate 10 year prison terms for such crimes as
failing to use a directional and driving while being a cabbie.