[*BCM*] MIT ride

Hiroyuki G Yamada hyamada at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 8 11:32:48 EST 2008

I would have to agree to Paul's sentiment -- Yea, it's a "Private
institution," but it's also MIT. We're not exactly sipping tea with our
pinky out, and our students are known for the whackiest hijinx known to...
well, at least the east coast, if not most of the country. People
routinely ride their unicycle/scooter/what have you down the corridors,
and for the most part they are courteous about it and often get a laugh or
smile, over an angry response. Furthermore, the argument that "Bike ride
behaves badly knowing a journalist is in its midst" is going to lead to
worsened images of CM is a little off-point, imho. The fact that there's
some tool newspaper writer shouldn't limit or control our behavior in
anyway -- for the worse or better. We shouldn't act more brashly or rude,
but on the flipside, we also shouldn't try to pretty up the ride. We've
all been there, when anger and mob mentality takes the better part of the
ride, and it would be vain and silly to try and hide that aspect of the
ride frm the media.

In THIS particular case, with the infinite virtually empty (again, no
students) and the ride VERY small, I can't imagine there being any
problem. On any other day, with MIT's full student body using the infinite
and several hundred riders, that'd be an entirely different issue.

And for reference, MIT's hallways are open to the  public, and most of
them, or at
least the stretch of the infinite, are open 24/7. We don't lock the doors
or gates or anything fancy like that.

As for bicycle advocacy, I stand with anyone who recognizes CM for what it
is -- an enjoyable and safe ride through an urban environment. If you want
to start tossing out mission statements and philosophies, you will
probably lose a lot of the ride's enthusiasm. There have historically been
no leaders and that alone rules out the typical definition of an  advocacy
group.

Yes, we're riding bikes and "educating" the city, but by a similar token,
I educate the city and its drivers every time I clip in, just on a smaller
scale. Am I a bike advocate? Absolutely, I read the riot act to anyone who
complains about gas prices. Do I claim to be running a 1-man advocacy
group whenever I'm on wheels? No.

Oh, and the argument that "you're being a leader, so how come you won't
lead" is fallacious. Just pointing out the lack of organization isn't
instituting it for oneself.

--Yuki