[*BCM*] Bostoncriticalmass Digest, Vol 43, Issue 3

Wolfe, Anne Anne.Wolfe at Theaa.com
Tue Jan 8 10:16:00 EST 2008

If it is just a party on wheels, why care what kind of press it gets?
Or what people think of it?

I think Thom's point was that it is perceived as an advocacy group.  For
what, no one is quite sure, least of all CM for the points you just
stated.  But it is perceived as one.

Ho hum, back to work for the Automobile Association, which encourages us
to bike to work. Seems like a contradiction until you see all the bike
route guides we publish.........

________________________________

From: bostoncriticalmass-bounces at bostoncriticalmass.org
[mailto:bostoncriticalmass-bounces at bostoncriticalmass.org] On Behalf Of
Lee Peters
Sent: 08 January 2008 15:14
To: Boston Critical Mass
Subject: Re: [*BCM*] Bostoncriticalmass Digest, Vol 43, Issue 3

Without leaders or members and set goals, CM is not really an advocacy
group at all.  It is a party on wheels.

Please do not think it is an advocacy group without (you yourself)
shaping it that way.  No one has really taken CM beyond anything but a
party - and all I have heard are people under the illusion that it is
advocacy and complained when it didn't live up to that standard.  I
don't want to spoil your involvement, but CM would need substantial
initiative to change.

The closest we have come to advocacy is the occasional flyer, sign
affixed to bike, or route planning for a specific purpose.

(for the record, I wish too that CM was 'nicer'.)