[*BCM*] "Planners"

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Mon Sep 3 13:33:03 EDT 2007

=v= While we're all certainly struggling with the legacy
of car-crazed post-WWII civil engineering priorities, there
are plenty of "planners" still afoot who deserve scrutiny
(or, far more rarely, acclaim) for our present transportation
infrastructure.  One example that should be obvious to anyone
here would be the Big Dig.

=v= Note that in the entire reconfiguration following that
disastrous project, bicycles were not taken into account in the
slightest.  (A recent past generation of bicycle advocates can
also share some of the blame for this, for dropping the ball on
the basis of an ideology that what's good for cars is somehow
magically and automatically good for bikes, and anything that
might be special for bikes is the f-word -- facility -- and is
therefore eeevil.)
    <_Jym_>