[*BCM*] Politics (Jim Leonard)

Nadav Carmel nadav at massbike.org
Tue Oct 9 12:51:34 EDT 2007

FYI, we're working on a comprehensive re-design of MassBike.org, including
updating content.

And for anyone interested in specifics here's what the bike bill does,
specifically:

*Creates Chapter 6, Section 116D, requiring police training on bicycle law.

*Repeals Chapter 85, Section 11A, regarding bicycle registration.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/85-11a.htm

*Amends Chapter 85, Section 11B, regarding hand signaling ("signals need not
be made continuously, and shall not be made when both hands are needed for
the safe operation of the bicycle") and allows riding two abreast when it
doesn't impede cars from passing.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/85-11b.htm

*Replaces Chapter 85, Section 11C, enabling enforcement of bicycle law.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/85-11c.htm

*Amends Chapter 85, Section 11D, requiring bicycle renters to provide
hemlets.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/85-11d.htm

*Amends Chapter 89, Section 2, regarding safe passing.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/89-2.htm

*Amends Chapter 90, Section 14, regarding cars turning in front of bicycles
and making dooring a ticketable violation.
http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-14.htm

*Again, the full text of the bill can be found here:
http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/185/st01/st01414.htm

In all, "The key provisions of the bill are: police training on bicycle law;
clarification of how to safely pass a bicycle; clarification of how to
safely make turns in front of bicycles; “dooring” subject to ticket and
fine; riding two abreast permitted when it does not impede cars from
passing; improved enforcement of bicycle law for both motorists and
bicyclists; and additional legal protections for bicyclists who choose to
ride to the right of other traffic."

http://www.massbike.org/news/action_alert_100507.htm

To reiterate, please call your state legislators!

Thanks for helping us get this out there, Tom.

Nadav