[*BCM*] Moving bikes internationally

Susanne Sauerbroim sauerbroim at yahoo.de
Wed Jun 20 10:26:16 EDT 2007

I brought my bike from Munich via Philadelphia to Boston last year. It just counted as a piece of luggage on the Lufthansa flight. Since I already had 2 suitcases I had to pay 80 Euros for the bike (the same price that I would have payed for an extra suitcase, and if I had had only 1 suitcase the bike would have been free..).
After some research in the internet and asking some people I decided not to pack it at all and only take of the pedals off, turn the handle bar parallel to the bike and take some air out of the tires. Not packing has the advantage that it is much easier to handle that huge piece of luggage, so that it's likely to be treated with much more care.
And it worked, my bike arrived safe !
Stephanie