[*BCM*] Perception & Reality

SHANNON CHAVEZ KORELL sck164 at psu.edu
Wed Jun 20 09:54:52 EDT 2007

To balance the dialogue a little.....
My experience of biking in Boston for the past two years has been positive! I live in Somerville and bike to work in downtown Boston daily. This daily commute involves a ride from Somerville, through Cambridge, and across the bridge to downtown Boston where I bike through some pretty hectic traffic in front of Mass General Hospital. Prior to moving to Boston, I lived and biked in small towns (no prior city biking experience). My lack of city biking experience might be why I'm fine with Boston - I don't have anything to compare it to in regards to cities; however, small town biking also has its own unique challenges. Anyway, I think the key to safe biking here is to use your defensive driving skills while on the bike, follow traffic car-driving rules, and watch out for doors on parked cars! Also staying off pedestrian sidewalks...as pedestrians have yelled at me more than auto drivers....hahaha! In summation.....Like all minority groups, we too are at risk of harassment and d!
 iscrimination from majority culture.
Peace & Joy,
Shannon :)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:37:43 -0400  Boston Critical Mass  wrote:

Before anyone scares people away from biking
in Boston.  Does Boston have more accidents-per-mile-ridden than other
cities?  Did that magazine article a few months back (declaring Boston
dangerous) use statistics to back up their perceptions?  Or did the
magazine derive the danger from our lack of bike paths?

I clearly have my own perceptions - but doubt they
completely represent reality.