[*BCM*] Re: Bike Laws

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Sat Apr 7 21:56:21 EDT 2007

FYI - The Bike Bill does NOT add any new restrictions for biclists.  I'm
not sure why people believe it does.  The bill would also change the
single file law to a double file law (which I'd say is better, but still
would be problematic in a more sustainable future where lots of people
bike, is clearly discriminatory, and is generally just illogical, but
then, who wants logic in their laws? :-)

And so you don't get surprised when you get pulled over for violating
current law, bicycles most definitely do have to follow all the same
traffic laws as other vehicles, except that cyclists can pass on the
right, can't drive on limited access highways where signs are posted
prohibiting bicycling (other highways are ok), and can bike slowly on
residental sidewalks unless prohibited (like in Boston).  That means no
wrong way biking, no red light running, and generally avoiding biking on
sidewalks, if you want to be a legitimate road user.

If you don't like this current set of laws, please consider coming up
with some better ones based on your priorities as a cyclist, pedestrian,
motorist, citizen, human being, and/or whatever other category you want
to identify as.

Peace, Love, and Bicycles,
Turtle

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> There IS an effort to create a new set of bike laws. The Bicycle
> Safety Bill has been vetoed a half a dozen times, and there are
> currently people trying to get it passed again, although it will still
> be a couple of months before it makes it through the legislature.
>
> Having talked to messengers and cyclists about this, I've found a lot
> of resistance to the bill because it would make things stricter for
> cyclists. We wouldn't be able to get away with going the wrong way
> down the street anymore or riding on the sidewalk. Now, not doing
> these things is safer anyway, but it would actually be an enforced
> law, for the same reason cars aren't allowed to drive the wrong way on
> the road. Police would be better educated with how to deal with
> cyclists and your rights would be well known to them.
>
> I don't know if this bill covers other screwed up bike laws like the
> fact that we legally have to ride single file in MA, but I'll take
> whatever progress I can get.

A human being is a part of the whole, called by us 'universe,' a part
limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and
feelings, as something separate from the rest -- a kind of optical
delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us,
restricting us to our personal decisions and to affection fo a few
persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this
prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living
creatures and the whole nature in its beauty."

~Albert Einstein