[*BCM*] Re: Bike Laws

ian schwartz hankpiece at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 21:14:15 EDT 2007

There IS an effort to create a new set of bike laws. The Bicycle
Safety Bill has been vetoed a half a dozen times, and there are
currently people trying to get it passed again, although it will still
be a couple of months before it makes it through the legislature.

Having talked to messengers and cyclists about this, I've found a lot
of resistance to the bill because it would make things stricter for
cyclists. We wouldn't be able to get away with going the wrong way
down the street anymore or riding on the sidewalk. Now, not doing
these things is safer anyway, but it would actually be an enforced
law, for the same reason cars aren't allowed to drive the wrong way on
the road. Police would be better educated with how to deal with
cyclists and your rights would be well known to them.

I don't know if this bill covers other screwed up bike laws like the
fact that we legally have to ride single file in MA, but I'll take
whatever progress I can get.