[*BCM*] Dynamic Bikemap? (was List of dangerous streets)

Bror Jonsson brorfred at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 12:41:32 EDT 2007

Hi!

Sorry for this unfocused mail, hope you guys understand what I'm
trying to get to...

I am a longtime lurker on the site but decided to get in on the
discussion about listing good / bad streets. II think it would be
fantastic with a dynamic bike map of Boston. Tripp Hyde has a good
idea, but get it to work I think it's needed to be a more combined
effort with a dedicated server to store the information. It is
actually very easy to combine your own geographical data with Google
maps. A good example is http://www.mapmyrun.com.

The problems around such a project are not technical but rather how
to build a community that can maintain the information and have it up
to date. I think that should be possible though.

My suggestions for such a project would be to start very small but
with the goal for something grand in the end. With the following
information available

* Good bike routs.
* Bad roads / road sections
* Suggested bike trips.
* Dangerous permanent obstacles (pot holes, weird intersections, etc.)
* Dangerous temporary obstacles (Open manholes, Container on the road
etc)
* Incidents and accidents.

Imagine a site where people can find a safe way to get to work,
suggestions on where to go for a ride on Sunday, and E-mail
notifications on obstacles in the road. You can go there and report
problems and accidents and Massbike etc can at the end of the year go
to the City with hard statistics on what has happened to bikers, and
where.

The information can be produced in many different ways. Either via
using external web-interface, such as mapmyrun.com, via GPS, or if
someone have access to GIS software. It is also possible to build an
own input system in the long run.

What do you guys think? Does it make any sense?

:-)Bror

--------
It does me no harm for my neighbor to believe in 20 gods, or no god.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg
--------
Thomas Jefferson