[*BCM*] Laws

Jim Leonard vleonard at infinet.com
Mon Oct 2 17:00:54 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, Lee Peters wrote:

> Well, she was going the wrong way on my one-way street.  The driver of a
> van pulled out in front of her at an intersection without looking the
> 'wrong' way down the street.

Going through an intersection the wrong way is one of the most dangerous
things you can do on a bicycle especially at any speed.

> Granted, it wouldn't happen if she wasn't going the wrong
> direction----BUT is there a law that says look BOTH ways before
> proceeding through a stop sign?

Not in those words but I think the following does apply.  It does hurt the
bicylist's case that she was not legal traffic, but I don't think the
driver of the van would be able to collect damages either.

>From 89 section 9 of Mass General Laws
(http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/89-9.htm)

Except when directed to proceed by a police officer, every driver of a
vehicle approaching a stop sign or a flashing red signal indication shall
stop at a clearly marked stop line, but if none, before entering the
crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or, if none, then at the
point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of
approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After
having stopped, the driver shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in
the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to
constitute an immediate hazard during the time when such driver is moving
across or within the intersection or junction of roadways.

--jim