[*BCM*] about building a new one..

T tedmondsjr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 08:57:53 EST 2006

Hey jib,

If/when you receive the information you requested from the collective minds
on this email list could you find it in your heart to forward on to me any
and all replies.  I'm at the tail end of my first summer on a single speed
and I really want to go fixed over the winter.  Ebay'ing a new wheel is an
option but I'm convinced building one would be best.

Thanks (from a stranger),

Tom

On 11/15/06, . nevele <symboliceon at hotmail.com> wrote:

> after riding my new fixie around for less than a week i'm totally hooked
> and
> will likely never ride any other way. frak, i rode my bmx (parts.. parts..
> more parts) from my front door to the basement today and felt like the
> thing
> was totally out of control when i stopped pedaling and the freewheel
> kicked
> in.
>
> i want to convert my old mountain bike in to a fixie for the winter. it's
> likely that i'll need a new frame (unless i can find a cheaper way to have
> someone fix the crack in the frame) but my main problem is that i have no
> idea how to strip all of the gears from the original wheel and insert a
> cog.
> i know i sound like a newb but i don't really care; i'm fixated on fixies
> and i want to make this happen despite the fact that i have no idea what
> i'm
> doing. =p i started looking up info online tonight but haven't gotten much
> thus far, so if any of you have info regarding resources that i should
> check
> out please let me know.
>
> any info would be extremely appreciated.
>
> -jib
>

> >From: Jym Dyer <jym at econet.org>
> >To: Boston CM <list at bostoncriticalmass.org>
> >Subject: Re: [*BCM*] long New Yorker article on Critical Mass
> >Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:13:29 -0800
> >
> >=v= While amusing in parts, it seems to be more an exercise in
> >_New_Yorker_ prose style than in journalistic accuracy.  The
> >writer does paint a picture, but it's not a picture of the
> >NYC bike scene I know.  It comes across to me as if the "holy"
> >business was inspired by the performance of Rev. Billy, who is
> >indeed a (wonderful) piece of the scene, but not one to build
> >that trope around.
> >
> >=v= Some corrections are in order:
> >
> >   (1) Barbara is not a blonde.
> >   (2) She rides a folding bike, not a child's bike.
> >   (3) The beer is no longer "hidden" in the bathroom.
> >       Indeed, it's generally not "hidden" at all.
> >       We keep it in the fridge, like normal people.
> >
> >Many inquiries have been made about this last point.
> >     <_Jym_>
> >
> >--
> >"I'm Mark Foley and I approve of this text message."

Humor is reason gone mad. -- Marx

Modern art makes me want to rock out. -- Art Brut