[*BCM*] CM arrest today

Greg Howard gh at bu.edu
Fri May 5 17:17:44 EDT 2006

That particular sign is on Norfolk St, a one-way with a contraflow
bike lane.  It makes sense in certain cases.  One place I'd dearly
love to see a contraflow bike lane is on St. Mary's, crossing the Mass
Pike near BU.

greg

On 5/5/06, rob levy <r.p.levy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Somewhere in the grey area between Somerville and Cambridge there's a sign
> that says Do Not Enter  -- Except Bicycles.  I've always been perplexed by
> it because I never would have though twice about entering on my bicycle, and
> it seems like conventional wisdom too.  I think there are thousands of other
> places that need the "except bicycles" sign just to make it clear to drivers
> that if they would simply ride a bike they could be free. They would
> transcend the maze of one-way streets.
>

> On 5/5/06, Chung-chieh Shan <ccshan at post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> >
>  On 2006-04-30T19:24:48-0400, Adam Shoop wrote:
> > I think it's established elsewhere that bicyclists must follow all
> > motor vehicular traffic laws except where noted.
>
> It has been argued in court that the use of the phrase "motor vehicle"
> rather than "vehicle", as in "The driver of a motor vehicle", is noting
> that bicyclists need not follow a law for motor vehicle operators.  For
> example, don't worry about not wearing a seat belt...
>
> --
> Edit this signature at
> http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
> Make $$$ Fast!
>
> Hold down your shift and 4 keys at the same time. In about a second
> you will be making $$$ fast.

Greg Howard, MPH, MS / <gh at bu.edu>
Department of Environmental Health
Boston University School of Public Health