[*BCM*] Boston PD no friend of a cyclist

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Wed Jun 28 12:38:50 EDT 2006

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> =v= No, what someone else (real or imagined) does should have
> no bearing on what "the rest of us" do.  It's a very very very
> basic standard of law enforcement that -- *gasp!* -- one should
> only be held responsible for one's own actions.  We should not
> accept anything short of that.  Not one bit.

I agree, though we're dealing with human beings here, and human beings
aren't perfect.  We're kind of programed to have some prejudices so
that we can know what to be careful of.  I think it would be great to
work on both problems at the same time (stereotypes and the actions
that cause them to become stereotypes)

> =v= There are motorists out there speeding and killing people
> right now.  Nobody pulls out your old saw about how they're
> "ruining it for the rest of us [motorists]."  The very idea
> seems absurd.  It is.  It's no less absurd for bicyclists.

Maybe you haven't heard of the "Masshole"?  Or the reputation for
"Boston Drivers" being insane?  People certainly do compain that
aggressive and disrepsectful motorists are ruining it for the rest of
us!

-Turtle