[*BCM*] Boston PD no friend of a cyclist

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Wed Jun 28 12:52:40 EDT 2006

>> =v= There are motorists out there speeding and killing people
>> right now.  Nobody pulls out your old saw about how they're
>> "ruining it for the rest of us [motorists]."  The very idea
>> seems absurd.  It is.  It's no less absurd for bicyclists.
> Maybe you haven't heard of the "Masshole"?  Or the reputation
> for "Boston Drivers" being insane?  People certainly do
> compain that aggressive and disrepsectful motorists are
> ruining it for the rest of us!

=v= Of course I've heard of (and had to bike around) Massholes.
That's a different form of complaint, though.  That complaint
is directed at a deserving subset of motorists, with no crazy
notion that all motorists should be treated badly as a result.
Very distinct from the absurd idea that, because some biker
somewhere (probably a messenger, eek!) is behaving badly, all
bikers should expect, perhaps deserve, shoddy treatment.

=v= What's more, the whole "Masshole" thing is very indulgent.
The idea is that facing bad drivers on a daily basis is one of
the shared experiences that everyone in the eastern end of the
state can bond over.  Anyone who complains too much is a little
old lady or some sort of rube.  Massholes, what can you do?
Chuckle chuckle.
    <_Jym_>