[*BCM*] Boston PD no friend of a cyclist

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Wed Jun 28 12:13:31 EDT 2006

> I don't think you can have it both ways.  Either the
> messengers start following the rules (even though they're
> adrenaline loaded) or they're ruining it for the rest of us.

=v= No, what someone else (real or imagined) does should have
no bearing on what "the rest of us" do.  It's a very very very
basic standard of law enforcement that -- *gasp!* -- one should
only be held responsible for one's own actions.  We should not
accept anything short of that.  Not one bit.

=v= There are motorists out there speeding and killing people
right now.  Nobody pulls out your old saw about how they're
"ruining it for the rest of us [motorists]."  The very idea
seems absurd.  It is.  It's no less absurd for bicyclists.

> This can come across to an angry person as "you deserved it."

=v= Hello?  Did you even read the original message?  It was not
your dismissive concoction, "coming across to an angry person,"
IT'S WHAT THE COP ACTUALLY SAID.  Oh, and by the way, people
are responding to the cop's actual behavior here, not because
of your other dismissive concoction that "this list has trouble
with authority."
    <_Jym_>