[*BCM*] Boston PD no friend of a cyclist

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Wed Jun 28 10:09:24 EDT 2006

Anne wrote:

> But as previously noted, if you go
> into a situation looking for a fight, that's generally what you're going
> to get.  And indeed, that's what Jon got. And then having been a jerk,
> and sworn, and been established as a jerk by the fact he did the same at
> the car driver, he insulted the cop further by saying "oh, if I was a
> public servant, I wouldn't be a stupid cop like you, I'd be a fire
> fighter" thus implying that cops are worse than fire fighters to a guy
> currently serving as a cop and then being shocked SHOCKED I tell you
> when the guy he's already insulted, sworn at and demeaned tells him that
> his civil service job of choice is not so great.

I agree that aggressive tactics aren't the most effective. However, it's
an odd fact of humanity that some people are so used to being verbally
(and even physically) attacked that they expect it, and even give you
MORE respect if you fight back, rather than be a "sissy" in their eyes.
 I'm thinking that in this police officer's case, that might be true,
since he did end up backing down to Jon and not arresting him.  People
like this like to push your limits to see how much you care about your
position and watch to see how aggressively you will defend it.  If you
pass the test, and stand your ground, they know you are serious and
give you the respect you want.

I don't like it, as you know, but it's reality for some people.  And in
this case, I think the officer might have gotten what he wanted out of
the deal (getting a chance to assert his "authority" and getting a rise
out of somone in the process - it's a game to them, kinda like boxing,
but with words).

Having said that, I want to say that I don't promote this kind of
antagonistic behavior as a way to get what you want.  Throwing a
tantrum isn't a particularly mature solution to adult problems, in my
book.  And I think that there are probably better ways to deal with
even people who are naturally pugnacious, like this officer.  But, I
also don't think it's the end of the world, and tantrums like this are
not as bad as some people may think.

Peace, Love, and Bicycles,
Turtle