[*BCM*] Be the change you want to see in the world & SUVs

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Wed Jun 7 18:26:46 EDT 2006

Greg <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> While I agree with this philosophically, it does give the appearance
> of my having to solve SUV drivers' need for love, belonging, or, um,
> personal shortcomings (another SUV reason turtle missed) before I can
> demand that they give up their death machines.  isn't this putting a
> pretty big burden on the bike community?

Well, if you want it to happen, you're pretty much the one who's
responsible for making it happen (along with anyone who agrees with
you, of course).  You can't expect others to do your bidding.  Yes, it
would be awesome if society spontaniously changed into the kind of
society we want to live in, but honestly, it's just not likely to
happen.  Slavery didn't just go away on it's own.  Women didn't get the
right to vote all "poof!"  And unsustainable transportation isn't going
to disappear without someone spurring on the change in mindset.  If you
really want it to happen, you've gotta work at it.

But it's not as daunting a task as it may seem.  The vast majority of US
Americans honestly want a sustainable planet, they just don't know how
to make it happen.  So if you've got a few ideas (and I know you do!)
all you need to do is show people how your plan will help everyone live
more sustainable, healthy, and happy lives, and you'll have tons of
support.

-Turtle