[*BCM*] MassBike Mid-April Update

Dorie Clark bikexec at massbike.org
Fri Apr 14 14:49:00 EDT 2006

MassBike Mid-April Update

Meet MassBike’s New Executive Director: David Watson

After an exhaustive search (thanks to our Board of Directors' ED Search
Committee, which put in more than 13 hours just interviewing candidates),
MassBike has found its new Executive Director. Starting May 1, Winchester
resident David Watson will take over the reins. (Dorie Clark will be staying
on through the end of May to teach David the ropes). Currently an attorney
for a high-tech startup company, David is a passionate road and mountain
biker. He previously served on the Board of Directors for the Greater Boston
chapter of the New England Mountain Bike Association (NEMBA) and as Director
of Greater Boston NEMBA's Mountain Bike Patrol. David is really looking
forward to meeting MassBike members and friends; please come introduce
yourself! He will be at our April 18 volunteer night and our April 20
Harpoon social, so come on by to welcome David.

MassBike Day at Petsi Pie in Somerville: Friday, April 28

Like to bike? Like pie? Friday, April 28 is your lucky day. For the second
year in a row, Renee McLeod—bike-friendly owner of the Petsi Pie gourmet pie
shop—has declared a MassBike Day. On Friday, April 28, all cyclists will
receive a free scone with your other purchase (show your helmet as proof you
rode!). Petsi Pie will also donate 20% of the day’s sales to MassBike. Petsi
Pie is conveniently located at 285 Beacon Street in Somerville, next to the
Beacon Street Star Market and a quick ride from Davis, Porter, Harvard,
Inman, and Union Squares. Come stuff yourself with delicious treats—it’s for
a good cause! (Note: this special only applies to Petsi Pie’s Beacon Street
location.)

Click here for details

http://www.massbike.org/news/petsipie.htm

Member Benefit: $50 Zipcar Savings for MassBike members

Zipcar, the bike-friendly car-sharing service, has a great new benefit for
MassBike members. MassBikers can join Zipcar for only $25, which is a
savings of $50! Today, 354 Zipcars are available for use in Boston,
Cambridge, Somerville, Medford, Brookline, and other surrounding
communities, and more than 600 will be available by year’s end. The company
concentrates its cars near transit stops, to make it easier for customers to
reach them. Zipcar also generously donates driving time to MassBike to
enable us to speak at meetings and participate in events across the state.

Click here to sign up and get your Zipcar discount

http://www.zipcar.com/massbike

Extra Help Needed for MassBike Super Volunteer Night—Tuesday, April 18

MassBike’s normally-fun volunteer night will be even better on Tuesday,
April 18. In addition to our regular monthly membership mailing, we’re
trying to get out a 2000-piece summer appeal letter, so we need lots of help
folding and stuffing. If you’ve come before, come again! If you haven’t been
to a MassBike volunteer night, now is the time—we really need your help! As
always, you’ll enjoy gourmet pizza from Picco in the South End. We will also
have Passover-friendly options! Please join us from 5:00-8:30 p.m. You can
find us at 20 Park Plaza, Ste. 528, Boston (Arlington T stop). Secure bike
parking available; please email for details. Please RSVP to
bikeinfo at massbike.org so we can tell our landlord you’ll be coming and make
sure we have enough food.

Harpoon Social: Thursday, April 20 in Boston

Please join us for the first MassBike Harpoon Brewery social of 2006! We’ll
be meeting up on Thursday, April 20 from 5:30—7:30 p.m. at Harpoon’s HQ, 306
North Avenue, South Boston Waterfront (near Harborlights/Bank of American
Pavilion). A donation of $5-$10 is requested, and you’ll be treated to free
Harpoon beer, craft-brewed soda, and goodies from the Blue Frog Bakery in
Jamaica Plain. Bring a friend who’s never been to a MassBike event and get
in free!

Click here for directions to Harpoon

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/brewery/boston/directions/index.htm

Register Now for Bicycling 101 in Boston, Easthampton, Newburyport; and
Waltham

Want to improve your urban riding skills? MassBike’s Bicycling Skills
classes are a great way to take your cycling to the next level as spring
approaches. We have free evening classes (Introduction to Bicycle
Safety—this has tips even advanced cyclists will benefit from), and
day-long, on-bike classes on the weekends (Bicycling 101 for
beginning/intermediate cyclists, and Bicycling 201 for
intermediate/advanced). Our classes are taught by certified League Cycling
Instructors and cost $40 for MassBike members and riders from MassBike
partner rides, and $50 regular.

Bicycling 101 classes are coming up soon in Easthampton (Saturday, May 6);
Newburyport (May 13/15); Boston (Sunday, May 21); and Waltham (Saturday,
June 3). You can also sign up for 201 in Easthampton (Saturday, May 13) or
Boston (Sunday, June 25). From beginning to advanced cyclists, these classes
will help you ride faster, better, and safer!

To register for our upcoming classes, click here

http://www.massbike.org/skills/classes.htm

Bikes Not Bombs Seeks Executive Director

Bikes Not Bombs is seeking an Executive Director to provide leadership,
vision, and sound management for our programs which promote bike education
through community-based, international and youth-centered programming. The
successful candidate will be a motivated self-starter with substantial
management and fundraising experience in youth development, international
development and nonprofit sectors. The Executive Director will manage staff,
ensure program quality, oversee fundraising, manage BNB's relationships with
community partners and lead efforts to expand its reach. The Executive
Director will be responsible for developing and implementing a successful
fundraising program with assistance provided by the BNB board and staff;
facilitating the organizational strategic plan; developing a long-term
financial plan; and developing new partnerships that further the mission of
the organization.

For a complete job description, email EDSearch at bikesnotbombs.org.

Please submit cover letter and resume to:

Bikes Not Bombs Hiring Committee, EDSearch at bikesnotbombs.org
- No calls please

- Application Deadline: April 31, 2006

Save the Date: May 15 is Redbones BBQ’s Bike Week Kickoff Event

It’s been a tradition for 11 years: each May, throngs of cyclists gather at
Redbones BBQ in Somerville to start Bike Week off right, with delicious
barbecue and vegetarian options (tickets are $15), plus a raffle for amazing
bike prizes. Mark your calendars for Monday, May 15 from 5:00—10:00 p.m.
Proceeds from the event benefit MassBike and NEMBA. Redbones is located at
55 Chester Street, Davis Square, Somerville.

Click here for MassBike’s Bike Week Information Page

http://www.massbike.org/events/bw2006/

Join MassBike

If you care about bicycling advocacy, you should be a MassBike member. All
year round, we are working across the state to improve bicycling conditions.
Whether you’re a commuter, recreational rider, or mountain biker, MassBike’s
advocacy efforts help make riding safer and better for you. Please join your
voice with 1850 other Bay State residents and become a member. We truly
appreciate it.

Click here to join MassBike

http://www.active.com/donations/campaign_public.cfm?key=massbike&CFID=749359
3&CFTOKEN=34423737