[*BCM*] Passing on the Right

Jym Dyer jym at econet.org
Sun Apr 9 14:06:56 EDT 2006

> Please try to avoid passing on the right!  I know it's legal
> in Massachusetts, but as you can see it's not terribly safe.

=v= This is an interesting point of contention.  The studies
that show a large number of collisions when bikes pass on the
right and conclude that it's therefore more dangerous to pass
on the right suffer from a lack of controls.  In other words,
since the vast majority of bicyclists *do* pass on the right,
it's not clear that having a majority of that type of collision
is due to the behavior or simply our presence.

> Pass on the left, where people expect other traffic.

=v= I do pass on the left, but it does not seem to me that it's
expected behavior.  Also, cars do not adhere to this principle
at all.  (The law suggests but does not require passing on the
left, but motorist behavior does not generally reflect the law.
Not even the stuff that's required rather than suggested.)
    <_Jym_>