[*BCM*] Bike lanes, actually

Pete Stidman pstidman at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 18:13:02 EST 2005

If the bike community is divided on bike lanes I would
imagine there are some reasons why people fall on
either side of the battle.  I would venture to guess
that all the anti-bike lane folks are experienced
riders and claim to know what's better for
inexperienced riders, I guess we all are experienced
on here.  But I think our numbers on the road would
increase if bike lanes were there to give people
security (whether they are or aren't safer seems like
a design issue to me, not so black and white.).
Anytime we get more bikers on the road it's a better
thing. THis division may be pretty illusory too, I
would imagine that there are huge numbers of folks who
would support them, and only a fringe that would go
against.

THis idea that we all have to agree on something in
order to go after it is bunk.  It is definitely
painful when you try and do something for the
community and others claiming to have similar cause
attack you, it makes everyone look foolish. But maybe
that is how we will have to go forward.  Because
otherwise, it seems very much like we are just
standing still.

Why not organize pro bike lane forces and prop up the
cause with case studies of why they work from all over
the world? If someone else headed it up I'd definitely
lend a pen.

-Pete

www.moz.net.nz/photo/2001/05-nz-tour/010-manakau-br-cycleway.php

www.moz.net.nz/photo/2002/03-chch-cycling/cycling-chch-nz-07-moz.php