[*BCM*] MassBike Late May/Early June Update

Dorie Clark bikexec at massbike.org
Wed May 25 13:39:14 EDT 2005

MassBike Late May/Early June Update
MassBike Volunteer Night: Please Join Us on Thursday, June 16

Pizza, friends, and envelope stuffing! Please come join us anytime from
5:00-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 16 for our monthly MassBike Volunteer
Night. It’s a great way to have fun and help the cause. You can find us at
20 Park Plaza, Ste. 528, Boston (Arlington T stop). Please RSVP to
mike at massbike.org.

Register Now for MassBike’s “Bicycling 101” Skills Course

Looking to get back into bicycling, improve your cycling skills, and/or
participate in a charity ride? This course, offered in partnership with
Landry’s Bicycles and the MS Rides, will teach you how to operate your
bicycle more smoothly (including shifting gears), ride safely on roadways,
increase your pedaling efficiency, climb hills more easily, participate in
group ride events, and more!

The next Bicycling 101 course will be held Thursday, June 2 from 6:30-9:30
p.m. and Saturday, June 4 (rain date Sunday, June 5) from 8:00 a.m.-4:00
p.m. Both classes are offered at the National MS Society offices in Waltham.

Click here to register and for more information

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1226517

Legislative Update: Senate Transportation Bill and Bicyclists’ Bill of
Rights and Responsibilities

Thanks to everyone who called and wrote Senators Kennedy and Kerry regarding
the ‘Harkin Amendment’ to the Senate Transportation Bill two weeks ago. The
Harkin Amendment would have made it federal law that bicyclists and
pedestrians must be accommodated on streets and highways—a law that’s
currently on the books in Massachusetts and only three other states. The
amendment failed 44-53, but our senators were on the right side, and
co-sponsored it. Thank you for making your voice heard and ensuring that our
elected officials know that cycling advocates are paying attention. The
House and Senate are currently working out differences in their two versions
of the Transportation Bill, and MassBike will keep you posted on
developments.

At the state level, our priority legislation is moving along well. The
Bicyclists’ Bill of Rights and Responsibilities (H. 1411) will have its next
hearing with the Public Safety Committee on Wednesday, June 29 at 10:00 a.m.
in the State House’s Hearing Room A-2. Please mark your calendars and email
bikexec at massbike.org if you will be able to testify. We’d love to have as
many bicycling supporters attend as possible.

To find out more about the Bicyclists’ Bill of Rights and Responsibilities,
click here

http://www.massbike.org/projects/legislation.htm

New MassBike Website Launches

If you haven’t been to our website in the past week, please take the
opportunity to check it out! After nearly a year of hard work, MassBike has
relaunched its website with a new and updated design. Special thanks go to
former MassBike Board President Paul Schimek, MassBike webmaster Doug Mink,
web intern Andrew Hoffman, and web volunteer Kathy Martin for their hard
work. Please email schimek at alum.mit.edu if you have any thoughts or
feedback.

Check out the new MassBike website

http://www.massbike.org

Final Chance to Win the Cannondale Commuter Bike—Donate to MassBike and
Enter Now!

Less than one week is left to help MassBike’s Safe Routes to School program
and enter to win a Cannondale Street bike donated by Landry’s Bicycles
(valued at $850). All donations of $50 or above to MassBike—either sent via
mail or online—before May 31 will be entered in a contest to the commuter’s
dream bike. (No purchase is necessary to win; if you are not able to donate
$50 or more to MassBike, please mail us a short letter explaining why you
would like to win the bike and you will be entered in the contest.)

The lucky MassBike winner will receive a gift certificate, good at any
Landry's Bicycle store, for the value of the Cannondale Street bike ($850).
The certificate is also good toward any Cannondale bike or merchandise at
Landry's store.

Click here to donate to our Safe Routes to School advocacy initiative (and
enter to win!)

http://www.active.com/donate/bikemonth

Would You Like to Start a MassBike Regional Chapter?

In the past six months, MassBike has jump-started two new regional chapters
(MetroBoston and the Cape & Islands). As the statewide advocacy
organization, we want to encompass as much of the state as possible and help
cultivate grassroots bike activism. We’re especially interested in starting
advocacy chapters in the North Shore, South Shore, MetroWest, Central Mass,
and the Berkshires. If you think you might be interested in starting a
regional chapter, please email bikexec at massbike.org to discuss things
further.

You can also visit our website for more information on what starting a
chapter entails: http://www.massbike.org/about/start_chapter.htm

MassBike Seeks Summer Interns

Please forward widely! MassBike seeks summer interns. Whether you’re a
college or grad student, a retiree, or someone in between jobs looking to
build new skills, MassBike has a place for you. We are seeking interns to
help with substantive projects that advance cycling advocacy and help you
meet your professional goals. Our internships are unpaid, but we are
committed to ensuring that our interns take on critical projects and develop
their professional skills. Full-time is preferred (college credit
available), but even one day a week helps MassBike tremendously. The more
time you are able to commit, the better the learning experience. Internships
are available in Graphic Design, Fundraising/Grant Writing, Advocacy/Policy,
Communications, Diversity Outreach, and Tech/Web. Please send a resume and
cover letter to mike at massbike.org.

Upcoming Rides: Blackstone River Expedition and Bike to the Sea Day

>From Wednesday, June 15- Saturday, June 18, participants in the Blackstone
River Expedition 2005 will canoe, kayak, hike and bicycle along the
Blackstone River Valley in Central Mass and Rhode Island. Visit
www.blackstoneexpedition05.com for more information.

MassBike partner Bike to the Sea is having a special celebration on Sunday,
June 12. Meet at 9 a.m. at the Dockside Restaurant at Centre and Ferry
Streets in Malden. There will be a 14 mile ride to Revere and back, followed
by lunch at Dockside.

For more information on Bike to the Sea Day and to register, click here

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1228651

Fun Boston-to-Provincetown Ride Seeks Volunteers

It’s nearly time for the 21st annual Boston-to-Provincetown ride, sponsored
by Outriders and held on June 18. This is a one-day, 128 mile ride organized
by gay and lesbian riders and their allies. Volunteers get a free t-shirt
and delicious brunch.

Click here to help out this great event, which is donating $1 per rider to
help MassBike!

http://www.outriders.org/outriders-registration-volunteer-form.pdf

Sponsors Update: Bike Photo Exhibit; Maine’s Peace With Inn Joins MassBike

Robert Fine, impresario behind MassBike sponsor Neobicycle.com, is having a
bicycle-related photo exhibit in and around Central Square in Cambridge.
Check out his works through May 31 at the 1369 Coffee House, 1369 Inman
Square; and from June 1-30 at Carberry’s Bakery on 74 Prospect Street.

Peace With-Inn of Fryeburg, Maine, has become a MassBike Business Partner.
The inn, located in the White Mountains near North Conway, New Hampshire, is
very supportive of recreational cycling and also maintains a bike tourism
website: www.bikepeacefulmaine.com.

Click here for more information on Peace With-Inn

http://www.peacewithinn.com