[*BCM*] Critical Mass and Civil Disobedience

turtle turtle at zworg.com
Wed Mar 9 15:48:33 EST 2005

Boston Critical Mass <list at bostoncriticalmass.org> wrote:

> He is the only person I've ever heard of getting arrested for this.

That doesn't mean he's the only one.  Plus I was talking about
harassment in general, not just arrest.  I've been harassed by police
for riding more than single file on a few occasions (in CM and
otherwise).  These officers actually KNEW the law, so it's not like
they were just being jerks. In this case, because of the law, society
was honestly backing them up in harassing me.

In the case where my husband was arrested (after being hit by a car and
reacting angrilly), the cops, judge, and prosecutor made a big stink
alledging that my husband and I were riding side by side (which we
actually weren't!).  They used this information to make more of a case
against us, as demonstration that we were "lawless rebels" who didn't
deserve to be on the road (and thus derserved to get hit by cars).

Now I'm not about to tell anyone else how to life (or protest), but my
goal is to have a more reasonable, compassionate, and respectful
society where diversity is valued as essential to the health of
society.  Given that goal, I see that it's exceedingly important to
help people (especially those who are given the responsiblity of making
policy) understand how laws and policies can either help or harm a
community.  As I noted, MLK believed that civil disobedience (violating
a "bad" law intentionally) was a last resort, and only served as a way
of getting people's attention so that a fair and respectful dialog
could be started.  Violating laws and then doing nothing to follow up
on that PR event isn't likely to do any good in making positive change.
 And positive change is what I'm after...

-Turtle