[*BCM*] Critical Mass and Civil Disobedience

contraelolvido at riseup.net contraelolvido at riseup.net
Wed Mar 9 14:08:08 EST 2005

>> This seems to be a silly way to change anything. The law is both unjust
>> and unenforced.
>
> Er, did you miss the post about the Rowinsky trial?  This law is
> regularly enforced in Cambridge and other places (and by enforcement, I
> mean that the police will pull you over and harass you for doing it.
> And maybe, if you disagree with them, they might arrest you...)

He is the only person I've ever heard of getting arrested for this. As he
states in his online description at bcm.org, he was only in the position
to get arrested because he decided to talk to the police and explain the
law to them, as if they would somehow see the justice in his cause and
repent or something. If he hadn't engaged the cop none of this would have
happened (this all comes directly from his statements online, I have no
firsthand knowledge of this).

So ya, him getting arrested sucks, and I hope he gets out of this ok. But
he wasn't arrested becasue of the bike law but because he decided to talk
to the police. That was his mistake.

> Our society runs on laws, like it or not that's the way it is.  Good
> laws should be respected as much as possible, while bad ones should be
> challenged and removed!

I agree (sorta), which is why I ride two-abreast. :)

--
"The only advice I can give is, if [anarchism]'s allowed to continue, hang
on. Once they get a foothold, they won't go away." - Capt. Thad Buchanan,

Capitalism, in effect, constitutes the point of absolute negativity for
society and the natural world. One cannot improve this social order,
reform it, or remake it on its own terms... The only choice one has is to
destroy it. - Murray Bookchin