[*BCM*] Opinions on move by MassBike

Anne Wolfe goannego at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 12:45:42 EST 2005

Tom Revay is not a paid staff member, but he IS a member of the board of directors of MassBike, and he is also a VP of MassBike.  This is a prominent position, and given both his personal interactions with me while I was a member of MassBike and his on-line encounters that I have witnessed but not been a part of, and the on-line encounter here on this issue have really confirmed for me that my decision to leave was correct, and that little in the culture there has changed there that yet would make me want to come back.  This is of course amongst the other more substantial issues that I outlined previously, and they are ***far*** more important than the Tom issue.

I have heard from Dorie Clark, the ED of MassBike, to clarify the exactly who is or isn't on the staff of MassBike, and that helped.  She also was the first and so far the only person to invite me to come back to MassBike (sorry, but "join or get the hell out of the way" isn't an olive branch, it is a challenge, and usually an order to get the hell out of the way.  And usually it is a pretty good indicator that you ought not to join, and you ought to stay right in the way where you are.) I will also go to say that my interactions with Dorie, although only just beginning in the last day, have so far been truly impressive.  In such a small organization, leadership sets the tone and can really make or break a lot of different aspects.  My impression so far is that Dorie may in fact be the one to lead MassBike in a positive direction, but given my past experiences I'm not getting back in until I see a real turnaround.  Which since I'm leaving the country, gives me an easy 8 months to
 watch anyway.

Who was responsible for the rebuffing?  Let's start with Tom.  Then let's move on to you. Then let's move on to the other people I was volunteering with, who when you tried to get them to do something, anything, just went "look, I've got all this other stuff on my plate."  I've really tried to keep the personal stuff out of this, as it is less than productive.  In this sort of forum, it amounts to little more than name-calling.  There were other much more substantive points to be made, and I think I made them.  And the substantive point to be made about the volunteering is that for an organization supposedly so dependent on volunteers, this is how volunteers got treated.

turtle <turtle at zworg.com> wrote:
goannego at yahoo.com,

> Turtle,
> About time you spoke up and acknowledged that you no longer worked for MassBike.

I guess you missed my note from the very beginning that said I had some
volunteer events "before I left".

I thought my leaving MassBike was ancient news. Sorry you were
confused.

Please also note that Tom Revay is also not a staff member, he's a
volunteer.

-Turtle
still wondering who was responsible for the "rebuffing", and what
exactly it entailed (I myself was underutilized for years as a
volunteer, but I didn't consider that being rebuffed).

-----
"One day we must come to see that peace is not merely a distant goal we
seek, but that it is a means by which we arrive at that goal. We must
pursue peaceful ends through peaceful means." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Really feminine, in a take no guff kind of way." - Steve Hurley on yours truly