[*BCM*] riding bikes in the snow

rob levy r.p.levy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 01:20:13 EST 2005

I've always rode my bike in winter months but avoided ever riding in the
snow.  I'm going to try riding in the snow this winter.  Does anyone have
any advice or comments on this?

Also: does critical mass (even a small small critical mass) happen in snowy
cold months?  I've been riding in the mass since spring 2005, but I
regrettably missed the November ride because I was out of town visiting
family.

I've looked at these two sites:

http://www.icebike.org/
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreation/wintercycling.htm

A bike courier I knew said he had special brakes on his bike for winter
use.  Disk brakes I think.  And of course there are special studded tires.
What do people advise as goes modifications to one's bike for winter
cycling?

Rob