[*BCM*] Sure thing, champ

Ian Westcott criticalmass at ianw.org
Tue Aug 30 13:18:13 EDT 2005

On Aug 30, 2005, at 11:47 AM, contraelolvido at riseup.net wrote:

> 5) Why does in intrinsically piss of anyone? You're wavering back and
> forth from calling this a protests, whose goal is to annoy/disrupt, to
> being worried that you piss of police (which is funny). Which is
> it? Or is
> it that pissing off regular folks driving around in cars is ok but
> annoying the cops isn't.

I don't believe any one person on this list was "wavering".
Different people have different opinions of what CM is and should be,
and I personally feel like this list is a great example of a place
where everyone's opinions bear equal weight.  You're really good at
making generalizations, contraelolvido at riseup.net, but it's not a
very constructive attitude.

On Aug 30, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson wrote:

> For the record, it might have been my last Critical Mass. A friend of
> ours had a computer on his bike and our average speed was around 4mph.
> While a bunch of us up front were wobbling around at trackstand
> speeds, all we could hear from the back was "slow down". We can't
> claim to be traffic if pedestrians are passing us, and for those of
> you not paying attention there was someone in the front "too fast"
> group walking alongside their bicycle.

Why not split up?  We could have a "Speed Demon" Mass whose goal is
to cover as much ground as possible, and maybe ride on higher-speed,
higher-risk roads such as Memorial Blvd or Soldier's Field Road;
those who are not so ambitious can opt for the slower, more casual
city streets ride.

For that matter, when the Mass hits Harvard Square, we can split into
the "Let's Go Invade The Bus Tunnel" Mass and the "Let's Go Take A
Loop Around Cambridge Common" Mass.  We could even meet back up on
the other side.

Remember: There's no freakin' rules here.  We can do whatever we want.

   -Ian Westcott
(who was regrettably absent from the August ride, because he came
down with a head cold and got lazy)