[*BCM*] 9/20 City Hearing on Bike Safety, Let's pack the hearing!!!!

Pete Stidman pstidman at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 16 18:17:10 EDT 2004

The city is looking for advice on how to address bicycle safety, including the intersection where Kirsten Malone was killed.  City Councillor McDermott of the Allston Brighton District will be there, we need to pack the library with bicyclists and demand a hearing with the whole council and the mayor and push the idea that drivers need to be educated about giving bicyclists the right of way on the road and looking back when they open a door and police need to protect bicyclists instead of harassing them.  At the very least we need to bring our concerns and recomendations for all the dangerous spots around boston and how they can be physically improved so that less of us are getting hit.  The city has a ton of money they will be spending on improvements so now is the time to speak up or forever ride in danger.

In addition to physical improvements there is also support for a PSA campaign that would educate drivers on pedestrian and bike safety, but it won't happen unless we speak out.

This hearing will be at 5pm September 20th in the
Honan-Allston Branch Library
300 North Harvard Street, Allston, MA
617-787-6313

Stay Tuned to Boston.indymedia.org for details....