[*BCM*] the hearing!!!!

Lee Peters lfpeters at eltonhamptonarchitects.com
Tue Sep 21 09:38:51 EDT 2004

If you don't get to hear from a real journalist..

So's I go to the hearing last night to lend support and it turned out to
be a good experience overall.  It appeared, and I can only go by what I
observed, that a political 'trick' was pulled.  Instead of addressing
the concerns of the biking community over the death of Ms. Malone, they
(the politicians) turned it into a meeting about crosswalks and
pedestrian signage.  Councilor Consalvo, the guy running the show,
insisted repeatedly that bikes were not the topic of the meeting.  He
insisted so many times, that we could have talked about bike safety
without extending the meeting.

The public was allowed to testify and many bikers courageously spoke up
in front of the crowd.  They mostly stayed on topic, but mentioned bike
safety and pointed out that the crowd was packed with bikers.  It was
sweet that we were there in force.

We were promised a meeting with the planners at BTD, we will see and I
hope MassBike will share this meeting with Critical Mass.  BTD are the
same people, who in my opinion, ALLOW so many drivers to double park.
If I can go, I will share this with them and use the strongest language
possible.

I recognized other Massers there, in fact I believe one testified.  I
was so proud.  When one biker (Mr. Ferris) testified he welled up with
much of the emotion that we share in regards to the city's inaction on
our behalf.  It made me wonder, why he doesn't go to CM.  Wait, don't
answer that, I think I already know..

Was it Alexander Hamilton who said: "if you set the agenda, you set the
outcome"?

-Lee