[*BCM*] MassBike Mid-October Update

Dorie Clark bikexec at massbike.org
Fri Oct 15 17:34:29 EDT 2004

Bike Night is Here: This Monday Night, Oct. 18!

It’s astonishing to believe, but the biggest bike advocacy event of the
year—MassBike’s 5th Annual Bike Night Celebration—will take place this
Monday, October 18 at Ryles in Inman Square, Cambridge (212 Hampshire
Street). We have a special, added bonus for you—comedian Jimmy Tingle will
not just be accepting his “Influence Pedaler” award, he will be performing a
live set for us between 8:45-9:00 p.m. Come join us as we kick back from
6:00-9:00 p.m. and bid on more than 25 special silent auction items, ranging
from a bike tuneup to two nights at the glamorous Brass Lantern Inn on
Nantucket, and from acupuncture sessions to an electric bike from
Neobicycle.com, valued at $895! Secretary Doug Foy will be our keynote
speaker of the evening at 7:00 p.m., and bike valet parking is included, as
always! One sad note is that due to a serious illness in the family, State
Sen. Jarrett Barrios will not be able to join us, but his Press Secretary
Colin Durrant will be accepting an “Influence Pedaler” award in his stead.
Bike Night is your chance to celebrate bike activism and the successes of
the year, as well as mingle with friends over Stonyfield Yogurt (donated by
our event’s generous Major Sponsor!). We’re looking forward to seeing you
there. You’re always welcome to just show up, but you can save yourself time
at the door by pre-registering online. Find our more about the event at:

http://www.massbike.org/events/bn2004/

--------

Kryptonite Online Lock Replacement Process

Kryptonite—based in Canton, Massachusetts—has offered a free replacement
lock to customers who are concerned about the security of their tubular
cylinder locks. Requesting a replacement is easy.  Just fill out the form at
the link below.  Replacement locks will be sent out beginning in
mid-October.

www.kryptonitelock.com/inetisscripts/abtinetis.exe/templateform at public?tn=pr
oduct_exchange.tem

----------

Speak Up for Bikes at MBTA Public Meeting

The MBTA has upcoming meetings in Somerville and Medford to discuss the
“Beyond Lechmere Northwest Corridor Planning Project.” The meetings will
discuss plans for improving transit options in Cambridge, Somerville and
Medford, and the first half-hour of each meeting will feature an open house
and chance to talk to the project team. (The same options will be presented
at each meeting.) This is a great chance to speak up for 1) the importance
of putting bike racks on all MBTA buses; 2) increased bike parking at T
stations; 3) allowing bikes onto the new low-floor Green Line trains; 4)
reducing or eliminating time restrictions for bikes on the Red, Orange, and
Blue lines; and other Bikes on the T issues which are important to you. The
Somerville meeting will take place on Wednesday, Oct. 27, from 6:30-8:30
p.m. at the Somerville HS Auditorium, 81 Highland Ave., Somerville. The
Medford meeting will occur on Wednesday, Nov. 3, from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at
Medford City Hall, Council Chambers, 85 George P. Hasset Dr., Medford.

--------

Filemaker Help Wanted

Are you a database whiz? Or at least know your way around Filemaker Pro
(version 6.0 for the PC) enough to help us figure out how to create new
templates, do mail merges, and the like? If so—and you’d be willing to come
in and give us one or two tutorial sessions—we would love to hear from you.
Please email bikexec at massbike.org.

--------

Be MassBike’s Roommate

We are still searching for an officemate to share our attractive and
accessible Park Plaza office space, less than a block from the Public Garden
and Arlington T, starting January 1. You’d be sharing half of our 750 square
feet for $700/month, perfect for a small non-profit or professional such as
a CPA or lawyer. Contact us for more information at bikexec at massbike.org.