[*BCM*] cyclist killed at train crossing

TSmith4918 at aol.com TSmith4918 at aol.com
Fri Oct 15 15:52:55 EDT 2004

In a message dated 10/15/2004 12:42:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dave at the-wild.net writes:
Maybe I'm the insensitive one, but even at 14 I had a good understanding of
train crossings and what it meant that the lights were flashing, the gates
were
down and the bells were ringing... DON'T GO! DON'T GO AROUND THE GATE! THERE'S
A TRAIN COMING... and there isn't much out there that wins when put up against
a fast moving train. What was the kid doing going around the gates?
they didn't explain much of the circumstances around the accident;  a friend
of mine was killed as he was jogging around crossing barriers because he
thought the gates were down for a stopped commuter train; as he rounded the stopped
train,  I am hoping he never saw the freight coming down the center track at
70 miles an hour. so, accidents like these are conceivable.  Also, 14 yr olds
are invincible.  and when I was 10, I used to ride down curvy hilly roads with
no hands and eyes closed to see if i could "feel" the road until a concussion
crimped my head and my enthusiasm for that kind of science.  we're probably
all luckier than we think to be alive and still biking...I feel sorriest for
the mom who had to learn what happened to her kid